Look! I’m back!
I just couldn’t stay away, not from all you lovely people. So I’m going to keep on keeping on. Because I’m a giver that way.
I have made a couple changes. I have moved to WordPress, for two reasons: one, because it’s free (I had to pay yearly for my hosting with the last setup) and two, because I no longer wanted to use Movable Type. It was fairly technical and, being an older version, did not have a lot of the features I would like to have. To add them may have been possible but it would’ve required a level of technical expertise which I do not possess. It also seemed really cumbersome to use and I truly think the format was a contributing factor in why I quit blogging. Every time I wanted to change something I had to go in and tinker with things and type out HTML (at which I’m not very good), and then “rebuild” the entire site to get the changes to take effect. It was time-consuming and frustrating. So WordPress seemed like a good solution. Everyone I know who uses it loves it and it’s very user-friendly, which is good for a non-techie like me.
And now a few housekeeping notes before we resume regularly scheduled (we hope) posting:
1) All my old posts, all the way back to the beginning, have been imported and remain available for reading. However, I am having some formatting issues so I apologize if they are difficult to read (there are no spaces between paragraph breaks). I am going to be working on fixing this but there are a LOT of posts to go through (assuming I can figure out how to fix it to begin with).
2) Pictures were not imported so if you read an old entry that used to have a picture there will be a broken image icon. I am also going to try to replace all of these but, again, major project (not to mention that some of the pictures are probably ones I don’t have on this computer and will have to track down). If anyone happens to find one of these posts with a missing picture it would really help me out a lot if you could give me a heads up by leaving a comment on that post. This will call my attention to it and I’ll make sure to get it fixed.
3) The design. It’s changed, as any readers from way back can see. The previous design was a custom one done especially for use on Movable Type and installed for me by someone who knew what she was actually doing. I couldn’t bring it to WordPress and that’s okay because I didn’t want to. I’d had it a long time and am ready for something new. This current design is a WP design that’s offered to all their users. I don’t love it but I can live with it. It may change at any time, without notice. 🙂 At some point I plan to have someone (a professional….or at least semi-pro) design a custom layout for me. For now we have WP’s offerings.
4) To the left you can see the various widgets I’ve added. There’s a feed of my most recent tweets on Twitter, my blogroll, links to some of my favorite things, and my “Web Wanderings”, which are websites or pages I’ve bookmarked recently on Delicious because I found them fun or interesting – much like my “Timewasters” feature on the former site, only this way is really easy to add stuff to so it will actually be current. These are all a work in progress as I add to them, so keep checking back.
5) One fun feature I have been enjoying is the “Random Post” button. It’s up at the top on the pull-down menu below “Blog Info.” It’ll bring up (wait for it)…..a random post. Good for a larf, or to ease you into a deep slumber if you’ve got insomnia. Could go either way around here.
6) I have this set up to where any posts I make here will post to Facebook, as well. However, if you aren’t on Facebook, or if you are on there but tend to miss a lot, and you like what I have to say, might I suggest subscribing? It costs nothing and WP does not sell or otherwise abuse your email address. (Subscription form in the column to the left.)
I do believe that covers it. Thanks for sticking with me and I hope this is the start of better blogging days.